Travelling is fun especially if its holiday travel and nobody wants to miss out on the fun. Even small children will notice the joys in their parents and in their young minds realize that something extraordinary is taking place. It is not easy to travel with your toddlers and keep sane at the same time, it is quite challenging but with proper planning, the whole family can enjoy their travel with minimal or no fuss at all.
Besides packing, ensure that you factor in your child’s or children’s needs into your travel plan. Don’t just think of them as eating, sleeping and potty breaks but think of a beautiful way you can distract them using their favorite toy from throwing a tantrum. Toddlers are not always still, they easily get tired and need lots of energy to keep them entertained all through. This will be made possible by prior planning for the travel whether holiday or not.
Considerations To Factor In As We Plan The Travel
- Take your time to plan: Even before you pack anything in your bags, take your time to plan out how you want your travel to be, what are the closest areas you can combine or visit on the same days? Are they close enough? What mode of transport shall be used? Write all the details down and research what you cannot easily find until you are sure of every detail. Come up with a timetable sort of list that will allow your family to do things in a planned manner. Ensure that your timetable includes your toddler as they will often need time to be attended which must be included in your list for a sane trip.
- Plan and book ahead of time: Whether flying, camping or staying in hotels, it is best done well in advance. Ensure you clearly let the hotels or camps you are staying about your toddler just to make sure every service provider clearly outlines the service they offer your little one. This ensures you are safe and do not have to face any inconveniences at the time of your arrival.
- Choose your destinations carefully: As you choose where to visit as a family, remember that your toddlers can only enjoy so much and so don’t put them in environment that doesn’t fit them as they will be overwhelmed by all that is around them. Choose easy destinations that the entire family can take part and enjoy the fun together. Parks, zoos and beaches just to name a few are some of the most fascinating places that even toddlers get to enjoy. Also, ensure you chose to live within an area that offers your family a lot of activities within a walking distance, this will give you ease of movement.
- Use your baby’s stroller for walks and day sleep: While out enjoying your day’s activities, your toddler will still need their day time sleep. Some toddlers will get fussy because they are not used to just napping anywhere while others easily sleep on the go. If you are among the lucky ones, you can comfortably place your toddler to sleep in their stroller and stroll around in their sleep without having to go back to the hotel room for their day nap. For those fussy ones, plan to have either one of the parent take the child back to the hotel room for the days nap as the rest of the family enjoy an activity together.
- Book nonstop flights: While travelling with toddlers or children in general, avoid flights that have stopovers. Most airlines are willing to assist you get comfortable seats and extra space for your children. Ensure you ask for baby meals during your booking to avail special foods that your child can enjoy as it is not their daily home meals. If you have a long flight to take, it is advisable to choose a night flight to allow the children sleep during the most of their trip. Once aboard the plane, let the children sit by the window as children love to see what’s outside the window. Seating them at the aisle seat will give you a good share of trouble as they will want to stand and walk around the aisle or make countless trips to the bathroom or even run around.
- Pack appropriately: This is the most important part of the whole travel, heavy bags will tire you and your children out. Before the travel take time to research on the weather in the particular place you are touring to allow you pack appropriately especially for your children. Allow them to pack with special directives and ensure you go through their bags before you hit the road. Let them know well in advance that they are to carry their bags at whatever stop that requires them to walk or shop. This is to easily communicate that no matter how heavy your luggage is you have no one to help you besides yourself. Some children will not understand this too well, help them pack only the clothes they need but remember to always carry plenty for the little ones as they tend to get too dirty. Bringing only that which is essential and buying disposables while travelling allows you to pack light. Diapers, baby food should be minimally packed as this is available across the world and can easily be accessed. Remember to pack their favorite toys too and a foldable travel potty in case your children at the age of potty training.
It is of great importance to have everything laid down but that does not mean there will not be mishaps along the way. Teach your older children how to handle mishaps calmly as you figure out how to deal with it. This is time to spend with the entire family, don’t let it be carried away by the care the toddler needs, allow them to also indulge in the family activities and enjoy the outdoors as much as everyone else. This will balance out every one’s concern and give everyone a chance to be happy and enjoy the travel.