In the growing process of an infant, the learning stages are the most valuable period for him or her. The parents are the most enjoyable couple while watching their infant grows with encouraging progress. For every growing child, walking ability would be the ultimate achievements for them and the parents. Most guardians really eager to see their infant to have this kind of capability in a fast manner, and others don’t have the passion at all. It will takes from couple of weeks to few months, and even half a year before the babies could really perform a well balance and firm walking. Walkers for baby would be the answer for most hopeful parents as they have every reason to have it in the house.
Most common believers of walkers for baby claimed that it really helps and encourage their baby to walk faster. Once the infant gained more strength of their legs and build up some momentum, you wouldn’t believe how fast they can go as much as the mobile freedom they will have. He or she will laugh out loud with so much joy and eventually will voyage to every corner of their parent’s house. Baby car walker is a very useful tool but how far is it from the truth or any supporting facts. There are a lot of speculations as well as debates surrounding the walkers for baby especially in terms of safety.
Often time’s recalls product like cribs of babies mentioned as the most concern among parents when safety factors are involved. And yet, walkers for baby are one baby tools that have been declared by most professional as unsafe product, and even got banned in some country. So what makes this baby car walker, the walking aid tool becomes such a huge argument and significantly causing lots of accidents from the past reports. Some said it caused by the product itself, some said by the parents’ failure of detecting the risk potential behind it, and not forgetting the infants were left unattended (without close monitor).
Caused of Accidents by Walkers for Baby
Before we jump into any conclusion, let’s take a look on the example of accidents which caused by the usage of baby car walker as pulled by past report:
- The baby car walker overturns due to misstep or jump-out the walker as a result of inadequate wide and height. Overturns may cause serious injury and broken bones if landed on the face first.
- Same goes to incident at staircase where walker rolls down as a result of high elevation without any fencing provided. This accident is even fatal than the flat ground incident with the whole body might be broken.
- The worst nightmare would be drowning as a result of unstoppable glide into watery places like swimming pool, bath tub, or toilet. There is no need to mention upon the course of this one…
- The baby skin got burn due to hot objects or hot liquid. While on mobile, your child reacted upon whatever they saw and will go closer to get it. For example, he or she could reach for hot drinks or electric cattle on the table.
- The baby skin can get serious cut if reaching for dangerous objects such as knives, forks, or scissors that were put the table or not far from kitchen bench. An overhead objects could also be reach.
- The baby will get pinch if his or her leg and ankle trapped while walking on uneven surface. In addition, their hand especially fingers can be caught while reaching for the door opening.
Some Safety Improvement upon Walkers for Baby
Despite of bad reputation, the continuity of improvement has been taken into consideration to tackle lots of safety issues of this tool. Some modification, tweaking, or change of design was suggested as well as following strictly the standard regulations.
- The base of the walker is much wider than the top for center of gravity stabilization purposes. This will minimize the possibility of overturn in any direction.
- Much larger base or bigger size than all the standard doorways in your house. Your baby shall have restrictions and prevents them on going to the other rooms or straight to staircase.
- In terms of dimensions, walkers for baby should the appropriate height adjustments and an ideal weight for its users. The height adjustment is very important for the baby’s feet touching the floor without much difficulty.
- The manufacturer replaced all the metal ones with complete plastic materials. If any of the parts require metal to be used, make sure there are no sharp edges, no exposed metal, or anything that could harm your infant.
- Some babies walkers that have a rubberized friction strip on the bottom which helps to stop the walker immediately if its wheels drop over a step.
- Some cool features added to the walkers like the play station board with lots of musical toys for keeping the infants busy.
- All products must have a certification by the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA) and followed the technical standard of American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM).
Walkers for Baby Usage and Parents’ Awareness
Although in this last part seems to be less important than the other two statements, but it will ensure the full maximum of safety upon your precious infant. This is the part, human error becomes one of the factor causing accidents of baby car walker.
- The parents should be aware that this tool is not an ordinary toy as injuries happen to babies in walkers than with any other child toy and often caused a serious injury.
- Take into consideration some of the more common issues surrounding the walkers; safety features, materials used, suitable dimensions, and so forth.
- Before make use of walker, analyze carefully your house surroundings and determine the safer place for them to play that is away from watery area, high elevated place, no obstacles or anything that would attract them, and so forth.
- Most importantly, never leave your baby unattended as some parents simply find excuses to let the infant play on their own and doing other things that cannot be done before or no time to do stuff.
- If happens that you would take some rest or nap awhile, do not leave your infant alone.
In conclusion, for whatever reasons this walking aid is still favorable by many parents as it is practical. Before you take the full pledge of safety within your own judgment, you must be able to analyze all aspect of potential risk behind the walkers for baby. The one that going to make full use of it is your own baby, thus he or she will do whatever they desire without knowing their surrounding or occurrence of risk. You as the parents should not leave your infants unattended and must be alert always as mishap might happen in slip seconds. Nonetheless, a full collaboration and commitment are needed in order to make safety is a must in all babies items.